Rekindling an old passion

Published on: Author: Mrs T 5 Comments

I have been running a knitting club at school, with just a few grade 4 and 5 girls, most of whom have never knitted before. Even as an experienced teacher, I found it hard to teach these girls to do something that I do without thinking. But I have managed it – to a point. We have been knitting squares to make a blanket and I have also appealed to the wider school community for some help with this, or else the blanket will be very, very small. Two of the four girls have managed to complete only one square. And calling them ‘squares’ is perhaps a mathematical oddity as neither of them are exactly ‘square’. One of them, in fact, resembles a trapezoid on drugs. But, they have had fun and learnt a new skill, almost. The look of concentration on their faces at the beginning was adorable and as the weeks passed, they became more and more relaxed and we had some good chats. The current club season has come to an end but they have asked that I run the club again next season, which is encouraging. In order to give our blanket the maximum chance of completion, I now host an informal drop-in knitting session in my room during lunchtime on Tuesdays and a few more girls have come along to learn the ancient art.

10610656_10152276977870887_294739977001197838_n

10623089_10152276978275887_9020559245416978489_n10690350_10152276978070887_6857083371179754534_n

What has been an interesting side benefit of this club, however, is that it has rekindled my love of knitting. IMG_0881One of the things that makes living in China a challenge is not being able to buy things as easily as one would in one’s home country. I have yet to discover the equivalent of an English knitting shop. We do, however, have TaoBao – where would we be without TaoBao? TaoBao is the most wonderful online shopping I have ever encountered: you can buy ANYTHING! Stephen’s and my Halloween costumes, for example, came to the grand total of 20rmb (less than $30, about £20). The biggest problem, however, is that you have to run what you want through a translator first as everything is in Chinese so you don’t always get what you expect!

I have discovered that Chinese people tend to use double ended knitting needles, or those with a wire between and I’ve found it very hard to find the sort of needles I’m used to. However, I have used this rekindled passion for knitting to try out Pinterest for the first time as I researched some ideas for knitting squares – another added side benefit of the club. I’m a true lifelong learner. It has been a little frustrating, to be honest, and I’m not sure if it’s me or the vagaries of Pinterest. I’m reserving judgement, let’s put it that way.

I have, therefore, realised, that I do not have to knit boring old garter stitch squares like we did in school. I thought I was being daring and creative by using stripes – but now I’m using this square knitting exercise to practise all sorts of stitches and I’m having a lot of fun into the bargain. The stack of squares are piling up on my table, and makes me realise that stitching them all together is not going to be fun – getting them to fit together will be a challenge in itself, as they’re not exactly all the same size.

It remains to be seen whether my rekindled passion in knitting will last longer than my interest in Pinterest – I suspect it will outlast it by a long shot.

5 Responses to Rekindling an old passion Comments (RSS) Comments (RSS)

1. Hi Merion

I enjoyed reading your post on your knitting club, the difference in how they knit and the challenges of finding supplies in another country.

Pinterest is really popular for those that like visuals. Another option is Flipboard. Are you able to use Flipboard on a mobile device in China? There are lots of magazines created by Flipboard users and you should be able to find some great Knitting magazines. I subscribe to several recipe magazines in my Flipboard account.

Let me know if Flipboard is an option and if you would like more information on how to use it. You may find you prefer the magazine style of Flipboard more than the visual format of Pinterest.

Sue Waters
    Support Manager
    Edublogs | CampusPress

2. Sue, I have returned to this old post as I have now completed some blankets and was linking to this post on a charity knitting page on Facebook. A year has passed and I am obsessed with Pinterest! I have found it extremely useful in finding and storing ideas for charity knitting, food, and education – my three passions! One or two things I have posted via Twitter and LinkedIn have been put onto Flipboards by others but I have not really explored it much. I think I probably have enough with Twitter, Facebook, Google +, LinkedIn, my blogs, and Pinterest. After all, I do need to actually teach now and again 😉

3. Hi Merion

I agree! If you are already happy with the options you are using then you are better to stick with them. My passion is cooking and I know that many find Pinterest helpful for finding recipes whereas I use Flipboard magazines. Both work well.

Sue Waters
    Support Manager
    Edublogs | CampusPress

4. I really enjoyed reading your blog. It is interesting to discover how other people do knitting. I belong to a group who knit for charities here in the UK.

• Hi Carol – thanks for the comment. I too belong to a group who knit for charities – you’re not one of the Woollies for the World Carols, are you?